Saturday, September 27, 2008

Test the Lord

I recently found myself testing the Lord... Now you might be thinking about the scripture in Deuteronomy 6:16 which says, "Do not test the Lord your God..."  However there is one instance the Lord does tell us to test him and that is in Malachi 3:10, "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house.  Test me in this," says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."  

To make a long story short a couple months ago I found myself wrestling with the Lord over "being still" and not pursuing a job.  Without my income we fall significantly short of budget and I knew financially I could not afford to stay home and not work.  However, I knew I had to be obedient to the Lord.  Then this verse became very relevant to me.  

Matthew 6:24-33 "No one can serve two masters.  For you will hate one and love the other, or be devoted to one and despise the other.  You cannot serve both God and money.  25So I tell you, don't worry about everyday life-whether you have enough food, drink, and clothes.  Doesn't life consist of more than food and clothing?  26Look at the birds.  They don't need to plant or harvest or put food in barns because your heavenly Father feeds them.  And you are far more valuable to him than they are.  27Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?  Of course not.  28And why worry about your clothes?  Look at the lilies and how they grow.  They don't work or make their clothing, 29yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are.  30And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers  that are here today and gone tomorrow, won't he more surely care for you?  You have so little faith!  31So don't worry about having enough food or drink or clothing.  32Why be like the pagans who are so deeply concerned about these things?  Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs, 33and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.  

I was working on the budget today and to my surprise we had more in our account than we should have not to mention we were under budget with an abundance to spare.  I've trusted and obeyed and God provided/blessed above and beyond.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a definite "yay God" moment!