Thursday, December 4, 2008

Strengths Can Turn to Weaknesses

Has it ever occurred to you that one of your strengths could become a weakness?  I hadn't until recently.  Think about this:  good looks or wealth can lead to pride.  Excessive privilege can invite hardheartedness and injustice. Leadership can turn into control or manipulation. Generosity can lead to overspending on others.  Physical strength can turn into abuse. Friendliness can turn into inappropriate flirtation.  Obsessive planning can destroy spontaneity and cause rigidity.  

Maybe yours isn't listed here but I dare you to ask yourself, "What strength could potentially turn into a weakness?" I realized amongst those listed was one glaring me straight in the face and I never would have thought it could become a weakness.  My need for structure, calendars and obsessive planning can definitely create a barrier to spontaneity.  I need to learn to be open to the unplanned, unscheduled events of life.  Just because they didn't make my calendar doesn't mean it wasn't on God's calendar.

So how do we avoid this? Only by becoming aware of your strengths and asking for God's protection of those strengths to be used for his glory and his plan for your life.

No comments: