Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Mack - 10 Months

Another month has come and gone, and just 2 months shy of being a year old!


Mack's Growing Curiosity
My little scientist is eager to discover how the world around him works. Now at 10 months, his physical skills are catching up with his desire to experiment. He can pick up a ball and toss it or roll it, he can use his pincer grasp and examine a minuscule crumb. Now that he's able to get himself where he wants to go, either by crawling or cruising he can check out almost anything he wants to.  
Checking out the drawer under the stove
He is constantly coming up to us ad grabbing our hands to walk around with him.  His favorite is holding our hand with one hand and walking around the ottoman with the other hand.  
Walking around the ottoman
We've done some baby-proofing-- such as outlets, toilets, and cabinet latches but we're still working very hard to teach him safety as well as obedience.  He obviously learns a lot by watching and imitating us. It was so cute the other day, he was watching me fold laundry and decided he could help...
Helping mommy with the laundry

Increasing Vocabulary
Just as he imitates what we do, he might also start to imitate how we communicate, blurting out exclamations like "Uh-oh!" or shaking his head no, for instance. He says dada, mum-mum and understand the word "no" although he often looks at us with a mischievous grin as he does something we've told him no to anyway. I've read that to him, it's less about rebelling or even getting his hands on the forbidden item than it is about getting our attention and getting a rise out of us. I've been trying to redirect his attention instead of constantly scolding or disciplining him.  That tends to work better anyway.  However, sometimes he just throws himself on the floor with his head on his hands and pouts... oh, it begins! 
This is also the stage when a baby learns to point. That's their way of asking you what he's looking at so he can further expand his vocabulary.  Mack loves to point at our faces so we've begun to teach him what things are.  Anything we do, we try explain to him what's going on.  For instance when we walk into his room I ask him to turn on the light and he points at it to turn it on.  Or I say you want a bottle and he knows it's time to eat.  
A few others...
I'll let the pictures tell the story
A weekend at Grammy and Grandpa's while mommy and daddy got away for a couple of days.  I like to play outside when I'm there.
Playing in daddy's wagon with his old toys (about 23 years old).
Trying to get in the stove, mom is watching me though.
Playing in the church nursery.

Boxes are fun toys.

I like to sit backwards in the grocery cart so I can see where we're going.


My parents always find me in the funniest positions when I sleep.

I think I need one of these toys at home.

And crawling...



Well until next month anyway, I'm hoping to be walking by then, we'll see!

No comments: