Sunday, October 14, 2012

31 Days: Day 14

The Discipline of Physical Fitness

An area of discipline that I have witnessed but can't speak from personal experience is that of physical fitness.  So for today's post, I have invited my husband, Micah to share a little of his insight.  

I went to the doctor 13 months ago to get my first check up in years and I was told that I was at risk of a stroke and/or heart attack.

After receiving this troubling news from my doctor I decided to use this news as a motivation for change.  Today I am not at risk, I am down 50 pounds and am so much happier with myself.  

How did you do that?  Here are the few things that helped me get to where I am:

1. Set a goal

  • I signed up for a marathon!!!  While I grew up playing basketball I had never ran more than a few miles in my life.  Endurance sports were not on my radar at all, but running seemed like the most inexpensive thing I could do and the easiest to fit into my busy schedule. 

2. Small change is good change

  • Small change over a long period of time results in a big change.  It is frustrating to step on the scale and have it be the same as the week before!  But all the exercise and healthy eating choices do count.  You may not see it this week but it will show up.

3. There is cumulative value 

  • Every time you exercise it counts!  5 minutes, 30 minutes, 3 hours...whatever it may be, IT COUNTS!  Be proud of it.  Every time you choose to not eat that piece of candy or choose the diet soda over the regular IT COUNTS!  Just like saving money, healthy choices are a slow process that don't give immediate drastic results.  But if you stick with them for a while you end up with a lot in the bank!

4. Become a student

  • Add healthy to your normal avenue of learning.  If you typically read magazines, websites or twitter feeds on finances, family, religion etc., then add a few Health magazines, websites, TV shows, twitter feeds.  Don't reinvent the wheel of learning, just add health to it.
5. Tell someone what your goal is
  • When I signed up for the marathon I told everyone about it!  Why not keep it under wraps and surprise everyone you may ask?  Because I needed that pressure of my coworkers and family members asking me about how training was going, how I was doing.  Many times the motivation to get out the door and run came from not wanting to say "I quit". 


The coolest part about getting fit for me is that it has become part of me.  Sure there are still days that I don't want to work out or I fall off the wagon and super size the fast food meal.  But health is now a part of my life.  It has become a discipline that I live; and that is a fun place to be.

I have been so impressed by my husband's determination to get healthy, now it's my turn to jump on the band wagon!

No comments: