Monday, April 27, 2009

9 Weeks Pregnant

How my baby's growing: The new resident in nearly an inch long - about the size of a grape - and weights just a fraction of an ounce.  The baby is definitely starting to look more and more like a human.  The essential body parts are accounted for, though they'll go though plenty of fine-tuning in the coming months.  Other changes abound:  The baby's heart finishes dividing into four chambers, and the valves start to form - as do the tiny teeth.  The embryonic "tail" is completely gone.  Our baby's organs, muscles, and nerves are kicking into gear.  The external sex organs are there but won't be distinguishable as male or female for another few weeks.  The eyes are fulling formed, but the eyelids are fused shut and won't open until 27 weeks.  The tiny earlobes, mouth, nose and nostrils are more distinct.  The placenta is developed enough now to take over most of the critical job of producing hormones.  Now that the baby's basic physiology is in place, it's poised for rapid weight gain.

How my life's changing:  Although I haven't gained any weight I definitely feel pregnant, especially as clothes are beginning to feel a bit snug.

Today we had our first prenatal visit... amongst the routine blood and lab work, we got to hear the baby's heartbeat!  There's something about that steady little drumbeat (more like a locomotive) that makes you realize that you really, truly are going to have a baby soon.  Not only is this an audible manifestation of our child's existence, but a confirmation that he or she is developing on track.  I love Psalm 139:13 "You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb."  Today was an audible confirmation that our child is indeed being knit together in my womb.  I can't express how exciting this truly is, there is life!

No comments: