Saturday, July 11, 2009

20 Weeks Pregnant


How my baby's growing: Every baby develops a little differently - even in the womb. So I've realized the information I've taken from babycenter for this blog is not completely accurate for our baby as we learned he's growing a little faster than the norm. He's swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He's also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion. This gooey substance will accumulate in his bowels, and we'll see it in his first soiled diaper (some babies pass meconium in the womb or during delivery).

How my life's changing:
Well the exciting news is I've hit the halfway mark in my pregnancy. The top of my uterus is actually a little above my belly button, and I've gained about 10 pounds. I can expect to gain another pound or so each week from now on. Sleep is becoming more difficult as the pregnancy progresses, thanks to some obvious and not-so obvious changes taking place in my body. I was a little surprised to hear Micah tell me I've been snoring. I can contribute that to the swelling of the mucous membranes that line the nose and may cause me to make more mucus. The key is to sleep on my side and elevate my head slightly. If only I could remain in one position through the night:) Heartburn has been kicking in a little more but thankfully Tums usually does the job. We had a screening test for down syndrome and everything came back normal - praise Jesus (not that it would have changed our mind but every expecting parent wants a healthy baby).

Here's the next pregnancy picture - 5 months along.

No comments: