Wednesday, September 2, 2009

28 Weeks Pregnant

How my baby's growing:

I realize I've just posted 3 times but I've had a little catching up to do. So I am officially 28 weeks today!

By this week, my baby weighs two and a quarter pounds (like a Chinese cabbage) and measures 14.8 inches from the top of his head to his heels. He can blink His eyes, which now sport lashes. With his eyesight developing, he may be able to see the light that filters in through my womb. He's also developing billions of neurons in his brain and adding more body fat in preparation for life in the outside world.

How my life's changing:

I'm in the home stretch! The third and final trimester starts this week. If I'm like most women, I'll gain about 11 pounds this trimester, hopefully not any more... At this point, I'll begin visiting my doctor every two weeks. Then, at 36 weeks, I'll switch to weekly visits.

Around this time, some women feel an unpleasant "creepy-crawly" sensation in their lower legs and an irresistible urge to move them while trying to relax or sleep. This sensation is temporarily relieved when I move, and is what's known as restless legs syndrome (RLS). No one knows for sure what causes RLS, but it's relatively common among expectant mothers.

Master's students get back this weekend, classes start Monday and I'll begin leading a Beth Moore Bible study out of my home on Monday evenings. I'm looking forward to the months ahead with my 28th birthday next week, and Micah and my 5th anniversary approaching!

No comments: