Wednesday, October 17, 2012

31 Days: Day 17

The Discipline of Choosing Healthy

Disclaimer... I do not claim to have perfected any area in which I write about, particularly this one - smile!  Having just celebrated my 31st birthday a little over a month ago, it dawned on me that in my adult life I have never had an overall check-up at the doctor's.  So today was the day.  My husband already had a scheduled follow up appointment so I made made an appointment to go with him.  I needed the support and accountability for whatever I would hear.  My husband found out about a year and a half ago that he has inherited some bad genes with high cholesterol.  It has required quite a life change for him to not be at risk for a stroke or heart attack.  To be honest, I was a bit timid at what I may find out myself, however, I was quite pleased to hear, I am absolutely healthy, but not healthy.  All the blood work came back great, claiming that I was quite healthy. The not healthy part is actually what I brought up and that is the issue of my weight.  I wasn't looking for some magical answer but the wisdom of a trusted friend and physician to encourage me in my already determined mind to get healthy.  My friend told it very bluntly - it's all about choices.  You choose how you view food.  Is it for entertainment and fun or for health?  If I want to lose weight I have to burn more calories than I'm intaking.  Counting calories doesn't exactly sound fun an exercise my favorite cup of tea but it's a choice I must make if I want to get out of this depressed state of being beyond overweight.

I don't recall the last time I had been to the doctor but apparently I was +30 pounds heavier than I am now (that may have been with child).  Since my 2nd son was born on my 30th birthday, I have attempted to lose weight.  Although I am not where I thought I would be 13 months later, I have not given up.  "It doesn't start after vacation, next week, on Monday or tomorrow.  It starts now. If you blew it for breakfast then it starts at the next meal."  I shall choose self-control, I am choosing healthy.  

No comments: