Friday, October 19, 2012

31 Days: Day 18

The Discipline of Communicating

My husband and I found that in order to be on the same page and not frustrated with each other, we need to communicate.  He has his job, I'm home with the boys... seems simple but it's not.  For my husband there's always some event going on with the church or a meeting that runs late.  For me it's play-dates, grocery shopping, running errands etc.  

What we have found works for us is having an intentional meeting each week, we call it "Crump Planning".  During this time, we look at the calendar and schedule everything in for the week.  Then we even plan out our meals.  If we've got plans to have people over, I need to buy extra at the store.  If my husband's going to be late from work, I need to plan dinner accordingly.  Some nights (usually Wednesday's with church) we have left-overs so I make extra on Monday or Tuesday.  Only having one vehicle we have to communicate so I know on days where my husband may have a lunch meeting he takes the car, when I have something going on he rides his bike to work.  

Not only do we communicate on calendar and meals but we make it a priority to communicate to each other about our days, it may be a simple e-mail, text or conversation over dinner.  My husband and I have very different interest when it comes to hobbies as well, it's easy to just do your own thing and never think about the other's interest but we are intentional with be interested.  For instance my husband is very in to this whole ironman training right now and although I may not understand all of it I always inquire about it.  I like to read and blog so he'll ask me about those things.  We also know each other well enough to know when is the right time to have a serious conversation or communicate something that could be sensitive. We are not just roommates under the same roof, we are one!  

When we are on the same page across the board, it helps things run smoother with the finances, the calendar, the kids, extra curricular activities and we can honestly say we don't fight and we aren't stressed at home.  It takes work but our home is a sanctuary because we choose the discipline of communicating.  


No comments: