Monday, October 22, 2012

31 Days: Day 22

The Discipline of Being a Christian Disciple

A disciple is a follower, one who accepts and assists in spreading the doctrine of another. A Christian disciple is a person who accepts and assists in the spreading of the good news of Jesus Christ. Christian discipleship is the process by which disciples grow in the Lord Jesus Christ and are equipped by the Holy Spirit, who resides in our hearts, to overcome the pressures and trials of this present life and become more and more Christlike. This process requires believers to respond to the Holy Spirit’s prompting to examine their thoughts, words and actions and compare them with the Word of God. This requires that we be in the Word daily—studying it, praying over it, and obeying it. 

My greatest joy in being a Disciple of Christ is the opportunity to disciple my boys to be mighty men of God!  It's not just a designated story time but it is in the life we live.  We are to be set apart from the world (Mark 8:34-38).  Our focus is on pleasing the Lord in every area of our lives.  We make every effort to be doers of the Word and live by the example of Jesus (James 1:22).  Our job is not producing fruit, our job is to abide in Christ, and if we do, the Holy Spirit will produce the fruit.  This fruit will be a direct result of our obedience (John 15:5-8).  My prayer is that my attitude would truly be a reflection of Christ's as he is the perfect example (Romans 15:5-6).  We make mistakes in front of our boys and we repent in front of our boys as well. Our boys will experience the love of the Living God through us and by us.  

Our Pastor has always told us "There is no greater calling than that of a wife and mother" and I'd have to agree! I feel so incredibly blessed to get to stay home with my boys full-time to be the primary one discipling them.  It is a discipline on many levels as I know they are constantly watching my every move, but in my discipling them it makes me a better Christian disciple myself.

Who wouldn't want to stay home with these two little mighty men of God?



No comments: