Monday, October 29, 2012

31 Days: Day 29

The Discipline of Staying Focused

If you want to succeed at discipline, you have got to be focused.  You'll never hit the bull's-eye if you're aiming at multiple targets.

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, you should have a clear goal but you should also know what distractions will keep you from achieving that goal. 

Here are two keys for maintaining focus: 

1.  Remove Distractions
  • Am I constantly on Facebook even though I want to be more intentional with spending quality time with my boys?  To stay focused we have been intentional with leaving our phones on the kitchen counter instead of always having them conveniently in our hands.
  • Am I constantly making dessert for after dinner even though I'm trying to lose weight?  I need to rid my house of sweets to avoid the temptation altogether!
2.  Focus on small pieces of the goal at a time

Looking at the Big picture can be overwhelming (like my goal to lose 35 pounds) but when I choose to plan each meal, schedule workouts and look at the plan for that week to lose 1-2 pounds, it seems much more manageable to stay focused.




No comments: