Monday, October 29, 2012

31 Days: Day 28

The Discipline of Setting Goals

If you've followed me at all for the past 28 days you know I've been thinking a lot about discipline lately.  All the topics I've blogged on are areas in which I have been or want to be more disciplined. Without discipline I'm unlikely to succeed at the goals I've set forth for myself however, many of my goals focus around being more disciplined.  So I've realized that the two go hand in hand. In Michael Hyatt's blog post titled "5 Steps to Developing More Discipline" he talks about this very subject. He says, 


"My friend, Andy Andrews asks this question:
Can you make yourself do something you don’t want to do in order to get a result you really want?
If so, then you are disciplined—at least in that area.
The key is on focusing on a result you really want. In this sense, the key to discipline is goal-setting.
Over the years, I have found that I can become disciplined in any area of my life by taking five specific steps. Whether it is trying to get in shape, maintain a blog, or develop a great marriage, the psychology is the same.
  1. Determine your goal. Notice in Andy’s definition that the key is in knowing what you really want. If you are going to succeed, you must be specific. You must be able to see it. Write it down and—while you are at it—add a “by when” date.
    For Example: I'd like to lose 35 pounds by my 32nd Birthday, September 10th.
  2. List your reasons. This is often the missing piece in both goal-setting and discipline. You have to ask, Why is this goal important? What is at stake in my achieving it? I list both the positive reasons and the negative.
    Example:
    • I want to feel more confident
    • I want to set a good example for my boys
    • I want to exhibit self-control
    • I want to be healthy
  3. Identify likely obstacles. As soon as you start swimming against the current, you will start feeling resistance. It’s as if the universe conspires to keep you from succeeding. That’s why you have to anticipate these obstacles and build strategies to overcome them.
    Examples:
    • Obstacle: Having too many unhealthy choices in the house. Strategy: Make a menu before I buy groceries of the things I plan to eat.
    • Obstacle: Too tired to work out at the end of the day. Strategy: Schedule work outs on the calendar for early mornings or during boys nap time.
    • Obstacle: Eating more calories than I intend. Strategy: Record everything a calorie counting app.
  4. Develop new behaviors. This is where you should focus. What are the positive, new behaviors you want to develop to replace the old, negative behaviors.
    Examples:
    • Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.
    • Choose healthy snacks like almonds or fruit.
    • Plan meals to avoid eating out.
    • Be accountable to my husband.
  5. Stay focused. Read your goals daily, review your reasons why, anticipate obstacles, and work on your new behaviors. If you get off-track, don’t beat yourself up. Sometimes it is three steps forward and two steps back. Just shake it off and re-lock on your goal.
Discipline is not really about will-power so much as it is focusing on what you really want. If you get clear on that, it suddenly becomes much easier.

No comments: