Monday, October 20, 2014

10. Fruit of the Spirit: Love

Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. (1 John 4:8)

I believe one of the greatest ways to truly experience and identify with God's love for us is to become a parent. I'll never forget the day my firstborn came into this world. I had a whirlwind of emotions going on after an emergency c-section but the moment Mack was placed on my chest all I could whisper was "I love you"!
I was amazed at how much love I had for this little boy that was only minutes old. I can only imagine it is a similar feeling when one decides to become a child of God and put their faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. The Bible tells us ALL of Heaven rejoices! 

When I think of Love in terms of my children it is easily equated with obedience. I'm often reminded of the story where Jesus asked Peter "do you love me?"  He didn't just ask him once but rather three times. Each time with a command to do something. If we truly love the Lord, we will obey His commands. 

If you're in our home very long you will know we say "I love you" quite frequently.   There are times when my boys will say, "mommy, I love you" (when they're sorry for something they did wrong). Then there are times when I use the phrase with my boys, "if you love me, then obey me."



May Mack and Parker know that this is love: that we walk according to your commandment. (2John 1:6).  

No comments: