Monday, October 20, 2014

9. A servants heart

Do as I did: The Son of Man did not come for people to serve him. He came to serve others and to give his life to save many people.” (Matthew 20:28 ERV)



I pray my boys would understand that any great leader must first learn to serve. 

We work hard to teach our boys to serve others and for their ages I think they do pretty well. An area we've recently been teaching them is parking at church. Let me explain... While we currently have 13 acres of land, 2 buildings and constructing a 3rd on the property, parking is limited. Every week parking is an issue especially for the person who may want to check out Palm Valley Church but can't find a place to park. It's not uncommon for someone to pull into our parking lot only to pull out and drive away. So in an effort to free up a couple hundred parking spaces we have asked all staff and volunteers to park in a vacant parking lot of some nearby businesses. My boys wrestled with the idea we were not parking in the front row, especially since we got there first and the parking spaces are available. They were quick to wine at the thought of having to walk a bit. Once we explained why we were doing this, my compassionate 4 year old has been eager to serve and walk while my 3 year old just doesn't get it! Hopefully with time he'll understand. 

May Mack and Parker serve wholeheartedly, as if they were serving You, Lord, not men (Ephesians 6:7).

No comments: