Thursday, October 2, 2014

3. Overcoming Fear

Deep within me there's always been this desire for adventure... I was the only girl with 2 brothers in my family so I was quite the tomboy growing up. I loved being outdoors, climbing trees, trekking through creeks and playing in the mud! Maybe God knew I'd have boys someday and needed that sense of adventure in me...

Although I would claim to be adventurous there is more of a reserve within me the older I get. I don't long to go sky-diving or crave the adrenaline rush of roller coasters anymore! As I've aged I find there are fears within me that I can't identify their origin. Nonetheless, I have determined that although my boys will discover their own fears in life I do not want to instill mine within them. 

Just a couple months ago the boys and I had the opportunity to go to Summer Camp with the youth. We watched several of the students go off the zip line and it was only a matter of minutes before Mack, my 4 year old, asked if he could do it! I wasn't sure if the camp was equipped to allow a small child to go off and secretly I was hoping they weren't. I also knew there was absolutely no way this sweet little boy of mine was talking me into climbing the 30ft tower to free fall off the thing and zip line. I quickly told him we'd have to see what daddy says. Mack was persistent for the next day! So Micah makes it happen. We explained what would happen without trying to instill fear. We were not sure if he would follow through but he DID! It was the talk of camp! Although my heart was racing I was so proud of him. I loved what he said afterwards, "mom, you know why I was so brave? Because I knew God is always with me!"

I pray both my boys have that kind of courage in the face of fear. I know we are just talking about a little adventure here but it gives me hope and confidence that my boys will be:
-men who aren't afraid to take a stand, no matter the cost
-men whose wives appreciate their ability to make bold, fearless decisions for the benefit of his family. 
-men who have children that will reap the benefits of a father who worships the Lord without fear of what others think. 
-and men that follow hard after their God-give dreams. 

I want to help cultivate this kind of strength in my boys not stunt it with my fears. 


May Mack and Parker be strong and courageous and not fear or be in dread, for it is You, Lord, our God, who goes with them. You will not leave or forsake them. (Deuteronomy 31:6)


No comments: