Wednesday, October 31, 2012

31 Days: Day 31

The Discipline of Reaching Up and Reaching Out

One of my favorite stories in the Bible details a battle that occurred between Israel and the Amalekites.  Moses stood at the top of the hill watching and praying.  As long as his hands were held high in the air, the Israelites were winning; but whenever he would lower them, the enemy began to defeat them.  So, the two guys who were on the hill with Moses pulled up a rock for him to sit on. Then they stood, one on each side of Moses, and held his hands up for him and the Israelites won the battle!

I love this story because I identify with it so well. When it comes to my family - my husband and 2 boys, I will stand on the forefront of the battle line.  Being the helpmate that God called me to be is truly a blessing but it takes effort, intentionality and work.  Raising two little boys to know and love the Lord is work too... there are days when you feel like your efforts have failed and everything you've taught will return void.  But nonetheless I pray, I teach.  I reach up towards heaven daily but sometimes my arms get tired and therefore I must also reach out to others.  Others that have gone before me and those that are in the same season.  Someone who gets it; who really understands the strain a mother’s heart undertakes when she places her children’s lives into the ever capable hands of the One who created them. We stress, and worry and wear down but He is trustworthy and faithful.  And we need to come alongside one another and hold each other's hands up so as to win the battle.  

In many areas of our life whether that be the discipline of spiritual practices, keeping a budget, organizing, taking a sabbath, recharging, unlearning, being a disciple, mothering etc., oftentimes we need not only to reach up to our Heavenly Father who enables us but we also need to reach out to those who can help us along this journey.



Woohoo, I did it! I blogged for 31 days in a row! So if you read one, two or all of my blog post you realize I am in a season of discipline, not that I have mastered this season yet but I am gaining self control in my life.  Thanks for joining me on this journey, if you desire to continue following my post feel free to do so at Seasons of Life.  


No comments: